Followers

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Something Special bars


Thank you for the kind email and comments about my lack of posting pictures of our Christmas decorations. Santa is a little peeved with me because of the broken camera, so I don't think this is the time to ask for a new one - if you catch my drift :D The tree in the living room was put together last night, but it only has lights on it for now. Sometime this afternoon I will put on the decorations.

When I moved furniture around to make room for the tree, I put an old washstand in the dining room and put my Jim Shore nativity set on it. Usually the nativity is up high on a shelf, but I wanted it eye level so Natalie could see it. And she had fun playing with Joseph and a shephard having them look out the windows of the creche. Somehow an ear got broken off the donkey. Fortunately she knew to hang onto the little ear. No big deal - it'll get glued back on, and we'll have another memory.

Today Larry and I are going to a Christmas brunch at Peek 'n Peak with the company he works for. The theme for today's brunch is Swedish Smorgasboard which isn't one of our favorite themes, but we know there will be lots of good things to eat. We had reservations for this a few years ago when the Nationwide golf tour made a stop at the Peak for the Charity Golf Classic. Unfortunately the men were more interested in getting outside to watch the golf, so we didn't get to enjoy the food for as long as we would have liked.

Friday evening was the Moonlight Madness sale in town. Our favorite store is called Something Special, and these cookies were on the table to share. Yesterday afternoon Jenny and I were back in the store for more shopping, and Theresa the owner had the recipe ready for me. Hope you like it.

CRUST
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix well and pat into an even layer in 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

FILLING
8 ounces cream cheese softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract

Beat together and pour over crust while it is still hot. Bake 15 59 20 minutes. Cool completely.

FROSTING
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix together and spread evenly on baked and cooled cookie. Cut into bars.

4 comments:

Cora said...

Poor donkey! :) But this is how memories are made...with smiles!

At Home With Amy said...

Oh I think if you ask Santa nicely, he might reconsider that camera for you this year Mary.
Those cookies sound great. I would have to use vanilla extract instead of the almond. I wonder if that would change the taste too much?
Warm Hugs,
AMY

QUAINT AND PLAIN said...

THE COOKIES SOUND SO YUMMY AND NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO PUT TOGETHER.. I WILL GIVE THEM A TRY. I LOVE TO BAKE AND LOVE COOKIES TOO.. XX B

The imPerfect Housewife said...

OK, I just saw that I didn't comment on this post, but I know I've read it because I've been here since you posted it...duh! Anyway, I bet Santa will get you a new camera if you've been on the "nice" list. Those cookie/bar things look awesome - I say put cream cheese with anything and it's a winner! Have a good one ~ ♥