Followers

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Decking the halls



It's all about making do with what we have this year. Fortunately, Larry and I are both still working; he even switched jobs this year. I still am working a 40-hour week even though several have been laid off where I work. Despite the dismal economic climate, we are positive and thankful for where we are at and for what we have.

We are trying to cut back on expenses, and our Christmas shopping list reflects that. Every year I tell the kids "this year will be a bit smaller than last" in terms of what's under the tree. But every year when I start wrapping and filling stockings, I find that we seem to maintain about the same quantity of gifts. With 10 of us now celebrating Christmas together, the living room will be a mess of gifts and wrap. God has been very good to my family.

I'm trying to look at my stash of Christmas decorations and rethink displays. I haven't used my alpine tree in a couple years, but I've got it in the dining room this year. I wound a red berry garland around it, and I'm hanging my collection of primitive candy canes on it. It looked a little bare, so I got out some paper mache red/white peppermint patties I won at a quilt retreat one year. I'm hot gluing some red ribbon on each one and will fill in the bare spots with these.

Our big tree in the living room will go up tonight. For years we've hung every ornament we owned on that tree. Last year I changed out the look and hung only red or green balls and white snowflakes. It looked so plain. Larry missed the ornaments the girls made through the years; and I admit I did, too. But this year, again, we're going with the same idea only I'm adding either the angel or the snowman ornaments for the bare spots. Maybe next year we'll go back to the old idea.

7 comments:

The imPerfect Housewife said...

It's always good to make little changes so you can see what works and what doesn't. Did you say your camera was broken because I'd love to see pictures of your living room!! Maybe if you've been good this year, you'll get a new camera for Christmas. Have a great weekend ~ ♥

Farming On Faith said...

I too am working with what I have this year. What a wise woman you are!
I am sure it looks lovely!

Barb said...

While the *snowflakes* fall in our area of PA, I am scrambling in many directions. Mary your thoughts sound wonderful, and your decorations sound creative (no surprise)...thank you for sharing! I have promised my family I will scale back, as the gkids get older it gets tougher to be creative, and I am not one to easily JUST give $$...I like to see some packages under the tree on Christmas Day. Have a wonderful weekend Mary ~ I am thinking ♥ of you and your family!

Cora said...

I know what you mean with the "making do".....but we still manage to have all things wonderful..God is Good!
It's fun to change things up a bit each year.....makes it more exciting and different!

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Even when we think we are doing less, it's amazing to see that God still richly blesses and we have abundance! I love how He works that out! God is so good to us even though we don't deserve it!

Your trees sound so pretty! At times I think I would like to do away with the "family handmade kid ornaments" but I just can't bring myself to do it. So I know what you mean. With my kids still being young (14,10,4), I just can't imagine not having their adorable little projects all over the tree. So this year, I added a couple more trees just for me and the kind of ornaments I wanted. Haha! But at least everyone is satisfied now.

I also wish your camera was working, I would love to see pictures! Have a wonderful weekend Mary!

kymber said...

Hi Mary,
You and I could be sisters! I do the same thing - I tell the kids every year that this year will be leaner, and I STILL manage to have the same bulging tree every year. As our family grew with new son-in-laws, and a grandchild - so did our bounty under the tree! lol

Your tree will be beautiful this year because you are decorating it with love - hope you share your pictures of it when you are able!

Blessings to you,
Kymber

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

My parents tell us the same thing about Christmas being more simple, and then they buy lots of items. This is the first year that the only gifts under their tree are for the grandkids only. I think it's great. We will probably focus more on the real meaning of Christmas this year because of it!

We're all kind of working with what we have these days, aren't we?

Blessings,
LMM