Followers

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Dumplings


Last night I took dinner to Julie and Travis' house. I made this recipe, and it is excellent! My husband is pretty reluctant to try something new, but even he enjoyed it. I don't care for the flavor of wine in my food, but I didn't even notice it. It's a good recipe for a fall day.

And I made these apple dumplings for dessert. The recipe came from BH&G's Hometown Cooking from October 1999. This little magazine isn't published any longer which is too bad because every recipe I tried when I had this subscription was a winner.

APPLE DUMPLINGS
2 cups sugar (I used 1 1/2 cups)
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I left this out)
These ingredients are for the sauce. Combine in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for five minutes and then set aside.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
For the dough, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening. Add milk all at once and stir just until moist. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 10 to 12 times or until nearly smooth. Roll out to a 12x10 rectangle.

1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups shredded, peeled cooking apples (I used four large Granny Smith)
This is the filling. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Spread the apples evenly over the dough and sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mix. Roll dough into a spiral starting from the long side. Pinch the seam to seal. Cut into 12 1-inch thick slices and place in a 13x9 pan. Pour the sauce over the dumplings. Bake at 350° about 50 minutes or until brown. Serve warm or cold, but warm is better.

6 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Makes me want to pick apples very quickly and get going on the recipe!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Oooooo, Mary - that one's a winner!! Seriously though, the thought of making dough always makes me nervous. I did just buy a pastry cutter though not too long ago so I must be preparing myself, huh?? Those almost sound like a cross between a dumpling and cookies, don't they, with cutting them into slices?? I'm off tomorrow...we'll see what it brings and I'll keep you posted.

Barb said...

Oh yes, apple dumplings are just perfect with the Fall weather we are having now...I can smell them baking! OK I need to go for the apples and get busy with the dough ☺...good suggestion Mary! Have a great week!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I'm going to have to try this. We're always looking for good recipes. Thanksgiving went off excellently. Things tasted great and we had a wonderful time. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Farming On Faith said...

You have inspired me. My in-laws are on their way to visit form Michigan. I just might make these.
For now I am heading back to bed. I am just not feeling well yet.
Hope you have a wonderful day!
Carrie~

Beth E. said...

Oh, yum...this sounds delicious! I'm going to try it. Thanks for the recipe!