Followers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hop To It - Block #1

You know, sometimes it's nice to get out of the box. This quilt is a project I would never have thought of doing; but when Sue and Melanie invited me to join them, I jumped on the opportunity simply because I enjoy my friendship with them. The quilt came second, but I'm glad I'm doing this project.

I chose fat quarters from Moda's 3 Sisters line named Faded Memories. I thought about buying some darker fabrics to add some spark to my colors; but after pawing through my scraps, I found I had colors and tones that worked just fine. And it's it all about making do sometimes, isn't it?

And yes, my design is off center. We were instructed to cut the blocks a half inch too big. I'm not trimming mine down until it's time to put the whole top together.

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the applique stitch I've chosen. The author suggested using a zigzag stitch with invisible thread for machine applique. I tried it and didn't like it. My Bernina has a nice blanket stitch, so I went with that using colored thread. My thread stands out more than I'd like it to, but I didn't want to invest in colored threads just for this project.

I think once my blocks are finished and sewn together for the quilt top, I won't notice the contrasting threads as much. I don't make heirloom quilts. I want my quilts to survive my grandchildren's childhoods; after that, I don't care what happens to them. Someday after my kids ship me off to a nursing home and pick through my things to take what they want, I want everyone to remember the fun and good times we've had. Quilts that have been jumped on, played with, and snuggled under will bring back good memories. And making this quilt with two friends is a good memory for me.

14 comments:

Siobhán said...

That is beautiful! I love the fabrics that you chose. I like your quilt philosophy, too. I have one quilt hanging up that isn't used, but everything else is used for cuddling and aiding in one of our favorite family activities--hunkering down together and watching TV!

Thelma said...

I think your block looks amazing, great job! I think the thread looks fine and I agree, sometimes we fret over the smallest detail in each block when it's the whole quilt that we see when we're done. This one will be amazing as well as cherished, I'm sure.

Melanie said...

I'm a blanket stitch girl and I LOVE yours!!! Your Fabrics are perfect for the block. I love your thoughts that quilts hold memories....

Anonymous said...

i love your block, mary! and the fabric you picked? excellent choice! looking forward to seeing the progression.

tracey

Anneke said...

it looks great. and your quilt with the little pretty one is great too! wow, my production is so low, I admire everyone who can show a finished quilt...

Shakerwood said...

I think you did a wonderful job picking out the colors. And I hear ya about spending more money for just one project. That's NOT what our great-greats would have done!

Christine said...

I'm loving what you've done so far, Mary! It really caught my eye on my blog roll!
Great to have fun with friends at the same time!

Darlene said...

Beautiful block. I love your quilting philosophy, as well.

I'll be peeking in to follow your progress. :-)

Karen said...

I read about your adventure on Sue's blog and just had to see what your block looks like. I see you are using cotton instead of wool like the other two so you will have a somewhat different look. I will enjoy visiting all three blogs to see your progess on the project. Enjoy the journey!

Angela {fussycut} said...

this is going to be amazing!

Linda said...

Beautiful first block, Mary!!! Gorgeous! Isn't this a fun quilt to make?? :-)

Julie Fukuda said...

Sue sent me and I'm glad she did. I'm with you when it comes to using quilts. Wall art? What little wall space I have is not complaining about getting cold. Enjoy the journey.

Pokey said...

It looks really sweet just like it is! I like the blanket stitch. As you said, you'll have a happy memory with dear friends.

Carrie P. said...

I just came from Sue's blog and wanted to see your block. It is great and I like the blanket stitch on it. Love the touch of purple.
I am in a group who is also making this quilt. We just finished #3.