Followers

Friday, June 4, 2010

Mary's house


No, not this Mary! I'll keep Mary's last name out of this to protect her privacy and because it is well known in our area. Her house was been listed at $1.2 million. In nearby the nearby Erie area, that price is not uncommon. Forty some miles away in Podunk USA where I live, it is unthinkable.

Several years ago when the girls were tiny, my husband and I worshipped at the same church Mary and her husband did. They invited us to lunch one Sunday after the service. I was so excited I could have cried. Her house looks like a small castle, and I was going to get inside!

I was so surprised when we got the tour - room after room of ordinary furniture and decorations - plain and simple. If there was a day's worth of use out of something, there was no need to replace it with something bigger, better, or fancier. When it was time for lunch, our meal was served on dinnerware that at the time being sold in the local grocery store as a premium.

Later when were were leaving were thanking our hosts, I mentioned to Mary that I would love to have her over but that we just lived in a 14x70 trailer and that I would invite them when we were able to entertain in a house. She told me that if I ever waited for the time to be right, we would never have friends over.

That thought has stayed with me through the years, and I wanted to share it with you. I could go on and on about the flaws in our 100-year old house; but I love this place. I decorate with my quilts and cross stitch, his golf clubs and golf balls, and the antiques and prim stuff that we both like. There is a purple and yellow plastic toy box in the living room; and when Natie gets into it, there is junk all over the floor. I love it when all the family is here. The mess on the floors makes me itchy to run the sweeper; and nine times out of ten before they all are out the driveway, I have it plugged in and ready to go.

But Mary was so right. Anytime is a good time to have friends over. Don't forget to entertain strangers for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. Hebrews 13:2

21 comments:

Melanie said...

A count your blessings story...we all need to do that...

Karen said...

If I wait till my house is perfect I'd never have people in. I've been hosting Bible study for over a year and they keep coming back and no one else offers their homes!

Cheryl said...

What a good reminder.

Deb said...

That is a good story to remember. I wish I could get that through my husband's head. Good friends never look around and judge you on what you have and if you wait until things are just right, your friends may no longer be around.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I just love this post. Something I definatly need to remember as I always see the 10,000 flaws in our house and feel embarrassed when people come over. Right now Shane has a ton of hunting junk, tools and two bags of dog food in our dining room. All things that I can't take care of - but in the meantime we are expecting his parents any minute. And I'll just be okay with that. :) And yes, you usually do have that sweeper in hand. :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Mary, what a wonderful story. And I am really bad at this. We live in an old farmhouse with 5,001 issues. I'm always saying 'someday when we have the new house, we'll entertain guests.' Well... maybe someday should be now. Thanks for the reminder! -Tammy

Christy said...

Thanks Mary. This was a really timely reminder for me. I also love my home even though its not fancy. I have recently made a new friend. I was at her brand new house last week, and found myself wondering if my place would be good enough to ever have her over for coffee... I think that you have reminded me today - that it is. God bless & have a lovely day.

Elizabethd said...

so true. It's not what you have, its who you are that counts.

Katy said...

Such a beautiful post! How true this is! :)

Karen said...

Such a delightful story. What a good friend to have.

Shakerwood said...

You have great timing, Mary. This little story is just what I needed right now! Thanks you !!

Chrissy said...

I've always had an issue with entertaining. Not because I don't want to but because I don't feel like my house is big enough, fun enough, etc.... But you are right. Memorial Day we had several couples over and had a great time! Enjoyed your blog and am a FOLLOWER. Visit me at The Busy Beavers http://cbeavers.blogspot.com

Farming On Faith said...

Oh Mary~ You are so right!
Such a great post.
Thank you for your sweet comment today.
Have a Happy Lord's day!

Barb said...

Thank you Mary for this blog post, it is a reminder that "simple is good" and we are always too hard on ourselves! I like having the family for picnics...but it means a lot of trips to the indoors for various things to be carried outdoors...but it is how I am most comfortable. Well maybe because some members of the family have allergies, and my cat did cause them to sneeze! Now that should not be a problem, since two weeks ago :-(! I am glad you found the castle to be simple on the inside! Have a wonderful week...sending blessings your way from my part of PA!

The Old Parsonage said...

I couldn't agree more, although right now our only bathroom is completely torn apart and I'm embarrassed that someone may want to use it:)

Leann

At Home With Amy said...

What a wonderful story Mary. Wait until you see your mansion in heaven! I have a feeling you will forget all about Mary's castle then!
Hugs,
AMY

Dolores said...

Hi Mary,
This is such a good reminder, and something its taken me a long time to realize. Also, people seem more comfortable and have more fun, when the house isn't perfect, but comfortable.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

So very true Mary! It has taken me many years to see this. When we lived at our old house, I always wanted to entertain but didn't feel comfortable in our little, old house. When we moved in our newer, bigger house then I started hosting parties and craft days. It's been so much fun and I can't believe it took me so long to realize this! I had been missing out on so much by not doing it sooner. I realize now that it is not all about the house.

I also wanted to say that the best compliments I have ever gotten on my home have been those that tell me how warm and inviting it is. That's all I need to hear... that's what I desire!

Anonymous said...

Oh rats! The pic of her house didn't load up to my computer. But, she made a great point. MOST people don't really care about where you live as long as they are treated with love when they visit. Good post!

Gina said...

I need to be reminded of this often! Hospitality is about sharing from the heart not impressing others with your house or cooking skills!
Gina

arcellgonzalez said...

It has been fun and I can not believe it took me so long to realize this! The peak of your house does not load on my computer. But she did an excellent point. It was indeed a timely reminder for me. I also love my home, but not fantasy.
fitflops