Followers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dooney and Bourke and me


My daughter Jenny has carried Dooney and Bourke purses for a few years. I love how they hold up through the wear and tear she puts them through. I decided this was the year I was going to buy one.

Now I've mentioned that I'm participating in a weight loss program at work. While my weight loss isn't exactly stellar (I'm two pounds short of my goal though), I have started exercising regularly. To encourage myself to stay on track, I actually pay myself to exercise. I have a set amount that I throw in a dish for each half hour of exercise, and that money will pay for my Dooney. I will have to do a lot of exercise to pay for the purse I want.

Let me just say this; I think these purses are hugely overpriced. By the time I get enough saved, I could buy two or three lower priced purses; or just put the money toward something else. I'll deal with that issue when I can see the end coming.

So my husband and I donate a lot of stuff to the Salvation Army; and because we use this as a tax deduction, I itemize every piece. A couple weeks ago, I was making a donation. While the clerk did her end of the paperwork, I checked out the rack of purses. I found a Liz Claiborne bag with the original price tag still on it. I love the style and size (plus the fact it had never been used). For $5.99, that purse was coming home with me.

Behind the Liz, was the Dooney & Bourke - mint condition, no purse crumbs, and absolutely no signs of wear. At $6.99, this bag was also going home with me. Jenny has inspected it, and we both believe it's a true Dooney and not a knock-off.

Problem is, now I'm worried about carrying it for fear I'll monkey it up somehow! Oh, I'll carry it eventually; but I'm glad I only paid $6.99 for my Dooney instead of a couple hundred dollars.

7 comments:

Screen Door said...

I've typed my comment 3 times...Blogger is giving me fits!!!. OK-- I'm a strange creature. I could spend the D & B moneies on dishes, quilt junk, coats...there's a whole lot of quilt junk out there for that $$$. Congrats on the lucky finds at under $20 . Celebrate.... Purchase some quilt fabric too!!!

Sewn With Grace said...

I love how this worked out for you! A good bargain is always a fun find. Maybe a new outfit to go with the purse? :)

Sue said...

Isn't it always so nice when we find good deals? Who doesn't love that?

So happy you were able to find those purses. I am a big fan of purses...my own home-made and store bought. Shoes and purses....ya just can't have too many. Clothes on the other hand....I'm most comfortable in jeans and t-shirts or jeans and sweatshirts :)

Have a wonderful week!

Gumbo Lily said...

Mary,
You carry that purse with pride and with joy! What a wonderful surprise! My dd and I were at the S.A. the other day and she found a terrific leather purse (I don't know the brand) bit it was JUST what she wanted. She recently sent a $150 purse back because it wasn't *just* what she wanted and so her $5.99 bargain was thrilling to her.

Jody

Debbie said...

You are my kind of woman! When I can find a bargain like that, I don't worry about using it just because I saved so much money. Just have fun with it. It's kinda like looking at the china in the cabinet and never using it.
I really like the idea of paying yourself to exercise. I think I'll adopt that one; maybe it will motivate me more to leave the front porch. Thanks for the idea.

Angie Berry said...

Yah! Good for you on finding such an awesome price on the purses! I love your idea of saving money by paying yourself to exercise. That is a great idea. Now if I didn't have three young kids running around my house, I would sure jump on board and join you but by the end of the day I feel like I've been exercising all day long! Lol!

Thelma said...

What a cute story and great finds!!

I have a rain coat that I love but refuse to wear it when it rains, only when it's chilly does my red plaid raincoat make it out of the closet! This has been going on for 5 years now!!