Followers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dooney and Bourke and me


My daughter Jenny has carried Dooney and Bourke purses for a few years. I love how they hold up through the wear and tear she puts them through. I decided this was the year I was going to buy one.

Now I've mentioned that I'm participating in a weight loss program at work. While my weight loss isn't exactly stellar (I'm two pounds short of my goal though), I have started exercising regularly. To encourage myself to stay on track, I actually pay myself to exercise. I have a set amount that I throw in a dish for each half hour of exercise, and that money will pay for my Dooney. I will have to do a lot of exercise to pay for the purse I want.

Let me just say this; I think these purses are hugely overpriced. By the time I get enough saved, I could buy two or three lower priced purses; or just put the money toward something else. I'll deal with that issue when I can see the end coming.

So my husband and I donate a lot of stuff to the Salvation Army; and because we use this as a tax deduction, I itemize every piece. A couple weeks ago, I was making a donation. While the clerk did her end of the paperwork, I checked out the rack of purses. I found a Liz Claiborne bag with the original price tag still on it. I love the style and size (plus the fact it had never been used). For $5.99, that purse was coming home with me.

Behind the Liz, was the Dooney & Bourke - mint condition, no purse crumbs, and absolutely no signs of wear. At $6.99, this bag was also going home with me. Jenny has inspected it, and we both believe it's a true Dooney and not a knock-off.

Problem is, now I'm worried about carrying it for fear I'll monkey it up somehow! Oh, I'll carry it eventually; but I'm glad I only paid $6.99 for my Dooney instead of a couple hundred dollars.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I've typed my comment 3 times...Blogger is giving me fits!!!. OK-- I'm a strange creature. I could spend the D & B moneies on dishes, quilt junk, coats...there's a whole lot of quilt junk out there for that $$$. Congrats on the lucky finds at under $20 . Celebrate.... Purchase some quilt fabric too!!!

Sewn With Grace said...

I love how this worked out for you! A good bargain is always a fun find. Maybe a new outfit to go with the purse? :)

Gumbo Lily said...

Mary,
You carry that purse with pride and with joy! What a wonderful surprise! My dd and I were at the S.A. the other day and she found a terrific leather purse (I don't know the brand) bit it was JUST what she wanted. She recently sent a $150 purse back because it wasn't *just* what she wanted and so her $5.99 bargain was thrilling to her.

Jody

Anonymous said...

You are my kind of woman! When I can find a bargain like that, I don't worry about using it just because I saved so much money. Just have fun with it. It's kinda like looking at the china in the cabinet and never using it.
I really like the idea of paying yourself to exercise. I think I'll adopt that one; maybe it will motivate me more to leave the front porch. Thanks for the idea.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Yah! Good for you on finding such an awesome price on the purses! I love your idea of saving money by paying yourself to exercise. That is a great idea. Now if I didn't have three young kids running around my house, I would sure jump on board and join you but by the end of the day I feel like I've been exercising all day long! Lol!

Thelma said...

What a cute story and great finds!!

I have a rain coat that I love but refuse to wear it when it rains, only when it's chilly does my red plaid raincoat make it out of the closet! This has been going on for 5 years now!!