Followers

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm 53 years old, and I have the body of a 57 year old. What?!



The company I work for started a wellness program a few years ago. Our division has a wellness guru who tries to inspire us to greatness with our bodies by exercise and healthy eating. The company gave us pedometers to encourage us to get our 10,000 steps in each day. We've had a dietician come in to talk about good eating. We've been encouraged to participate in walk/run competitions through local festivals. And today the YMCA came in to determine the age of our bodies. They did this by taking into account weight, body mass, blood pressure, flexibility, and strength. I avoided this the last time it was offered, but I caved this time. Reality has smacked me in the face.

So what am I going to do about this? I have been exercising but have determined to set aside time to do this rather than my usual method of hit or miss when I feel like it. A group of us from work started a weekly weigh-in the week before last. We each toss in a buck a week to participate and then add 50 cents if we gain a pound or more. This will go on for 10 weeks. The top two losers will split the pot on May 10.

I have decided it's tough getting old!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Don't you wish quilting was an aerobic activity--- think how thin we'd all be!!!! Use quilting as a reward , not as a deterant to exercise.... It helps me muttle through the ellyptical.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Hi Mom! 57 eh? You don't seem to be that way! You are always buzzing around with so much energy. I know that there is a running joke that non of us can keep up with you when you are buzzing through store shopping. I have wanted to try Vita-mix lately. I too have been hearing great things about veggie drinks. You should put dads juicer to work. :)